‘The Rockford Files’ Remake: Who Should Be the New Jim Rockford?

‘The Rockford Files’ Remake: Who Should Be the New Jim Rockford?

UPDATE 2.11.10: I originally posted this last July, when buzz started that NBC was going to remake the classic James Garner drama The Rockford Files. The Hollywood Reporter recently mentioned Matt Dillon‘s name as one of the actors producers were persuing for the redo, but in the last couple of days here at TVScreener.com, fans have been excitedly voicing their support for Stargate: Atlantis star Joe Flanigan as the man who could fill Garner’s Emmy-winning Rockford shoes.

I agree, Flanigan would be an excellent Jim Rockford, able to pull off the humor, the leading man charm, the action bits … Rockford producers, the people have spoken (and are continuing to speak). Is Mr. Flanigan on your Rockford Files short list?

FROM JULY 2009:
NBC is remaking the ’70s PI drama The Rockford Files, the classic series starring James Garner as trailer-dwellin’ ex-convict investigator Jim Rockford. NBC is moving the action to modern day, and here’s hoping they also stick with the character being in his 40s or 40s (Garner was 46 when the show began in 1974), which should make for interesting casting.

A few suggestions off the top of my head: Christian Slater, Jason Bateman (not that he’s headed back to TV anytime soon with his hot film career in full swing), Paul Rudd (ditto the film career) and Matthew Perry, who has been trying to get back to TV series work since the failure of his NBC dramedy Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and his Showtime comedy The End of Steve didn’t make the cut at the cable network.

Any other ideas about who would make the perfect new school Jim Rockford?

• Brenda said at February 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm
    101

Hello producers of the new Rockford! Just watch the Vegas episode of Stargate:Atlantis. It will be an easy decision after that. Joe Flanigan is the obvious choice.

• Helen said at February 13, 2010 at 2:58 pm
    102

Joe Flanigan would be perfect for the Jim Rockford remake. Watch him in the “Vegas” episode of SGA. And he’s got a sizable fan base, he can bring in the fans.

• lory said at February 13, 2010 at 5:54 pm
    103

Lory said at february 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Hello. I’m Lory fan from Italy. Just watch the Rising episode of Stargate Atlantis. I like it. I think joe flanigan is very funny actor and he can bring much fans. Bye.

• SGAFanColorado said at February 13, 2010 at 8:06 pm
    104

I say JOE FLANIGAN FOR ROCKFORD!!!! DO IT!

• julie said at February 14, 2010 at 8:20 am
    105

Joe would be great doing Jim Rockford.

• Valerie said at February 14, 2010 at 8:58 am
    106

Oh heck yeah! Joe Flanigan would be perfect as Rockford. Combine his roles in Thought Crimes and Star Gate Atlantis and you have the ultimate Rockford.

• C.Lanagan said at February 14, 2010 at 10:19 am
    107

Only one choice the flantabulas Joe Flanigan

• esgaril said at February 14, 2010 at 6:02 pm
    108

Unfortunately I’m not living in USA, so I can’t watch it on cable, but I would definitely buy the Rockford series on dvd if Joe Flanigan would be in it! He’s very talented and would be a perfect Rockford.

• sgugeek said at February 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm
    109

OMG! Joe would be perfect! A great character actor! I hope he’s the one they pick! 😀

• wen said at February 15, 2010 at 2:31 am
    110

How could you not see Rockford in the SGA ep Vegas. He is perfect for it

• Sabine said at February 15, 2010 at 4:12 am
    111

He’d be perfect for it! Just watch Vegas or Thoughtcrimes. I can totally see it. 😀

• Scroll said at February 15, 2010 at 11:16 pm
    112

I loved Joe in Thoughtcrimes and in Stargate Atlantis! He’s got humor, intelligence, a dark edge, and the whole big damn hero thing totally nailed.

• rsharpe said at February 17, 2010 at 1:25 am
    113

Look no further. Joe Flanigan is the perfect choice for Rockford. He’s great with action, he has a wry, sarcastic with and he’s certainly handsome. Just check out the Stargate Atlantis episode “Vegas”. Joe Flanigan has my vote!

• gaby737 said at February 17, 2010 at 2:33 pm
    114

Hello Rockford producers … Joe Flanigan would be great for this role ….. please … we want to see .. I am a fan since Argenitna, Black River, San Carlos de Bariloche .. so I write from far away …. he has fans around the world believe it or not .. my greetings

• Eric Smiley said at February 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm
    115

Watch “The New Rockford Files Wilot” on youtube and let me know what you think!

• Kathy (sgc) said at February 19, 2010 at 2:18 am
    116

Joe Flanigan would make a better Rockford than Matt Dillon. Didn’t think he was all that (Matt) back when he was staring in movies when I was a teen, still don’t think much of him now.

Would be great to see Joe again since TPTB decided to cancel SGA and leave all us fans hanging.

I remember when Rockford Files was on the air and would watch it again, with the right man in the title role.

• Kathy said at February 19, 2010 at 8:56 pm
    117

I remember watching the Rockford Files with James Garner. It was a great show. Joe is the perfect choice because he is interested in the role and he wants the remake to be done right.

Joe has the right qualities to bring Jim Rockford back to life and do him justice. NBC should not only consider but hire him for the role.

• Suzie said at February 25, 2010 at 10:42 am
    118

Joe Flanigan in IMO is the best choice to play Jim Rockford. He has the charisma, the wry/sarcastic sense of humor and is definitely no stranger to action/adventure. He is a fantastic actor with enough talent to play this role the way that it should be played. He’s interested so NBC would be smart to hire him to be the next Jim Rockford.

• diane said at February 25, 2010 at 1:42 pm
    119

i think you cant go wrong casting joe flanigan as jim rockford nbc should hire him

• Chucknician said at March 6, 2010 at 7:43 am
    120

I would love to see Joe in any new project involing John Sheppard but as theres no new SGA because their morons for not cancelling the show.

So it would be great to see him as Jim Rockford. The more I think it about the better the idea gets he would be great as a fitting replacement for James Garner who was awesome as Rockford.

Joe has charm, humor and sex appeal added to that a fine actor, SO its a no brainer hire him.

• Chucknician said at March 6, 2010 at 7:45 am
    121

Sorry I meant to say their morons for now cancelling the show!

• Glenbo said at April 16, 2010 at 3:45 pm
    122

They’re on a fool’s errand. Everything about the original Rockford was perfect. It’s was so 70’s that I think it will get lost in translation. I can’t see anyone on the scene who could do it justice. If it must come to pass then I hope James Garner is getting a piece of the $ action.
    It’s being reported that Dermot Mulroney will star as Rockford, Alan Tudyk as Sgt Dennis Becker & Beau Bridges as Rockford’s dad Rocky. Who could be “Angel” Evelyn Martin?
    As Angel used to says “Ya gotta help me, Jimmy”.
    Rockford Files is still seen 10pm weeknights in Boston on RTV Channel 62

• steve clarke said at July 13, 2010 at 6:08 pm
    123

joe flanigan would be perfect for the role of jim rockford if you cast wrong any series will flop get the right cast right even the rockford files can be a huge hit joe flanigan is the right man for the job