All the tube news that’s fit to surf …
– I’m bummed that The A-Team movie finished a distant second to The Karate Kid remake at the movie box office last weekend. The A-Team is such a fun flick, easily one of the best TV-to-movie makeovers in a long time, and with an opening sequence that is more action-packed and entertaining than the entire runtime of most movies. If you were a fan of the TV show, check it out. Even if you weren’t, it holds up as a good summer popcorn movie. Everyone in it is fantastic (even Jessica Biel!), though District 9 star Sharlto Copley steals the whole movie as H.M. Murdock.
– It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia fans who actually live in Philly, prepare to stalk The Gang. Kidding, but the cast will be in town to shoot scenes for the upcoming sixth season next week, and will hang out to help co-stars (and soon-to-be new parents) Rob McElhenney and Kaitlin Olson open a new bar they’re investing in.
– Awesome: Ricky Gervais will guest star on the upcoming eighth season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
– Does the winner of America’s Got Talent really get $1 million prize? Yes, but it’s doled out over the course of 40 (!) years, and that’s not the only fine print in reality TV prize contracts, as The Daily Beast details in an interesting new feature.
– This seems like a casting coup: Ed Asner has signed on to play Tom Arnold‘s grumpy dad in the CMT comedy pilot Regular Joe.
– More TV daddy news: Brian Cox will play Laura Linney‘s father in the upcoming Showtime dramedy The Big C, which also co-stars Precious Oscar nominee Gabourey Sidibe and The Wire star Idris Elba.
– And one more bit of fun casting news: 7th Heaven papa Stephen Collins will be back in primetime next season, as a series regular on the Michael Chiklis superhero family drama No Ordinary Family. The former Rev. Eric Camden will play the boss of Chiklis’ character’s wife, played by Dexter‘s Julie Benz.
– Oh, and speaking of Dexter …The death of Benz’ Rita will necessitate the hiring of a nanny by Dexter, and that nanny will be played by The Tudors alum Maria Doyle Kennedy. Also joining the Dexter gang for season five: Southland star Shawn Hatosy.
– What’s the most-watched TV series in the world? Make a guess and then click here to see if you were right.
– Wanna bid on a weekend with the stars of History Channel’s addictive Pawn Stars, uh, stars? Check out the eBay charity auction, which opens tonight at 10PM ET, for a shot at a weekend in Vegas, which includes accommodations at the Palms, dinner with the Harrison clan and Chumlee at the Palms, playing in a poker tournament with the show’s stars and an internship at the Gold and Silver Pan Shop.
– MTV is giving up on VJs … now the network is looking for a “TJ,” a Twitter jockey, to bridge the network’s TV presence with its social media presence.
– And, when the Real Housewives women started singing, you knew this wouldn’t be far behind: The Situation has recorded a rap song.
Charlie Sheen, Russell Brand and Louis C.K. are getting most of the attention, but I’m most excited that one of the best new shows of last TV season — Wilfred — returns for its second season on FX tonight (10PM ET). Season one of the series ended with a cliffhanger — had Ryan (Elijah Wood) […]