All the tube news that’s fit to surf …
– In honor of President’s Day, here’s MSN‘s list of the top TV POTUSes, which includes, of course, West Wing‘s Josiah Bartlet (Martin Sheen) and 24‘s David Palmer (Dennis Haysbert), my pick for the best TV POTUS of all time. Who did MSN forget about? Glen Allen Walken (John Goodman) on The West Wing, Mike Brady (Gary Cole) in the made-for-TV flick The Brady Bunch in the White House and Lisa Simpson, who, in the “Bart to the Future” episode of The Simpsons, becomes POTUS and appoints slacker brother Bart the “Secretary of Keeping It Real.” Now, of course, we can also add 24‘s President Allison Taylor (Cherry Jones) to the list.
– Madonna, Larry David, Tina Fey and Ricky Gervais are among the celebs who will act as guest judges for Jerry Seinfeld‘s new reality series The Marriage Ref. The show, which premieres March 4 on NBC, will find the celebs helping to mediate disputes – some really wacky disputes – between real-life husbands and wives.
– Speaking of Tina Fey, the Emmy-winning 30 Rock star is the Vogue cover girl for March, and she brings her irreverent humor to the uptight fashion mag, saying, “… at awards shows, I wear a deep V. Because it makes the triangles go the right way. Not good on me? Spaghetti straps. It looks like when you tie up a roast before you put it in the oven.” The article also includes Fey’s explanation – autobiographical, of course – of how she coined the phrase “mom jeans.”
– Get well soon wishes to Kiefer Sutherland … even Jack Bauer is susceptible to kidney cysts, apparently, as production on the season ender of 24 has halted for a week while Sutherland has surgery for a ruptured cyst.
– Do you love her or hate her? Either way, you have to admire Real Housewives of Orange County star Vicki Gunvalson for her work ethic, which she talks about in an interview in the Los Angeles Times.
– We’re not even through Hollywood rounds yet, and already an American Idol contestant’s legal woes are creeping up. Danielle Harris, who wowed judges in Denver with her tales of struggling to make it as a singer and her performance of Melissa Etheridge‘s “I’m the Only One,” has been kicked off the show because she’s on probation.
– By the way, TVGuide.com reports that a partial list of the top 24 contenders will be revealed on Tuesday night’s Idol episode, with the remainder announced on Wednesday’s ep.
– Actress Beau Garrett, who’s guest starred on Entourage and House, will be the female lead of CBS’ upcoming Criminal Minds spin-off.
– Oscar winner Kate Winslet will star in HBO’s miniseries remake of Mildred Pierce, the movie that won Joan Crawford a Best Actress Oscar in 1946.
– The Biggest Loser trainer Jillian Michaels is standing by her self-named diet supplement, which is the subject of a false advertising lawsuit.
– Is your favorite show on the bubble for next season? Ratings and buzz reports mean Scrubs, Better Off Ted, Cold Case and FlashForward are amongst the shows most in need of fan support to survive another season. Most insiders agree that Heroes will mercifully be put out of its convoluted storyline misery, and even 24 isn’t a lock for the 2010-11 season.
– One show we know will end this season: Ugly Betty. And show star Ana Ortiz dropped some scoop on what will happen in the series finale. If you want the spoiler, click here, but a hint: Someone’s setting married.
– And World Wrestling Entertainment hopes to have its own cable network in play within the next year and a half.
Tonight’s the big Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains premiere (8PM ET, CBS), and in honor of this all-star season (the show’s 20th season, by the way), my pop culture-lovin’ pal and blogmaster Scooter McGavin has polled his fellow bloggers – yours truly included – to compile a list of the 25 best Survivor competitors ever.
So, without further ado, the list:
1 – Richard Hatch – Borneo (w) / All-Stars
2 – Russell Hantz – Samoa / Heroes vs. Villains
3 – Rob Mariano – Marquesas / All-Stars / Heroes vs. Villains
4 – Rob Cesterniro – The Amazon / All-Stars
5 – Tom Westman – Palau (w) / Heroes vs. Villains
6 – Todd Herzog – China (w)
7 – Yau-Man Chan – Fiji / Micronesia
8 – Amanda Kimmel – China / Micronesia / Heroes vs. Villains
9 – Yul Kwon – Cook Islands (w)
10 – Stephen Fishbach – Tocantins
Want the rest of the list? Ya gotta visit Scooter McGavin’s 9th Green to get the rest of the goods!
So, what would your top 25 look like? Do you agree original Survivor winner, Richard Hatch, is the best Survivor competitor of all time? If not, who would top your list?
PS – Isn’t it funny that the top three on the list are all considered “villains”? They are the most fun to watch …
PSS – The “w” beside some of the names denotes that he or she won that season of the show.
PSSS – Anyone care to predict who will emerge victorious on Heroes vs. Villains?
There will definitely be a second season of MTV’s guilty pleasure hit Jersey Shore, but the cast may be filled with fresh faces.
TMZ.com reports that today’s the deadline for The Situation, Snooki, Pauly D, J-WOWW, Ronnie, Sammi and Vinny to accept MTV’s new contract offer — $10,000 per cast member per episode, plus a $10,000 signing bonus — or they’ll be replaced with new Guidos and Guidettes.
The cast is reportedly sticking together, a negotiating tactic that was famously, and very successfully, employed by the Friends cast back in the day, with The Situation and Pauly D doing most of the talking. TMZ reports that MTV is willing to sign individual cast members, however, so we’ll see how committed the Joisey pals really are to keeping their little group together.
Meanwhile, in other Jersey Shore news:
– MTV.com has launched a “Jersey Shore Yourself” game, because, really, who doesn’t want to see themselves Ed Hardy-ied and hair gelled to the bejesus?
– In case these contract negotiations don’t turn out well, Television Without Pity has some clever suggestions for other reality shows the cast could join.
– And, even if there are new cast members for season two, we’ll always have Jersey Shore: The Movie, thanks to Craig Ferguson and a few famous pals.
HOORAY! We have our winner:
Beth! Congrats, Beth, and thanks for entering. Your awesome game will be on its way to your mailbox shortly. Enjoy, and thanks again for checking us out at TV Screener.com!
And everyone, stay tuned to TVScreener.com … we’ve got lots more TV goodies coming your way!
Who says you can’t learn anything from TV or videogames? Not us, and the new Wii game Cook or Be Cooked, from Food Network, is the proof! The awesome game gives players the chance to learn some serious slicing, dicing and chopping skills, along with tons of other culinary talents that will help you whip up tasty vittles in no time.
The game is a great companion to Food Network’s addictive new reality series Worst Cooks in America (Sundays, 10PM ET), where twelve of the most hopeless cooks in the country are competing in a high-stakes elimination series. At stake for the last two standing is the chance to cook for a panel of esteemed culinary critics and win the grand prize of $25,000. The six-week series will put the “recruits” through a culinary boot camp led by two acclaimed chefs: Anne Burrell, host of Secrets of a Restaurant Chef, and Beau MacMillan, executive chef at Elements in Phoenix.
Find out more about the show at Food Network.com, and to enter for a chance to win a copy of Cook or Be Cooked courtesy of Food Network, remember:
– Leave a comment on this post, with your name, your favorite Food Network personality and an e-mail address where we can reach you
– Deadline to enter to win the Cook or Be Cooked Wii game is January 29 at 8PM ET (according to recorded comment time)
– The winner will be chosen by random, using Random.org’s Random Number Generator
– The winner will be announced on the evening of January 29, as an update to this post
Good luck, Wii gamers and aspiring chefs!
Don’t miss tonight’s new Real Housewives of Orange County (10PM ET, Bravo), not only for the OC cast’s own drama, but for a sneak peek at the new season of The Real Housewives of NYC, which premieres on March 4.
On RH: OC, the women have a sleepover and Lynne confronts Gretchen about her chat with Lynne’s daughter, which Lynne took as Gretchen suggesting Lynne is a bad mom. As if having mother-daughter plastic surgery didn’t speak volumes on her parental fitness …
Meanwhile, the RH: NYC clip hints that not only are old rivalries still going strong – i.e. Ramona calling The Countess out on her fakeness – but it looks like one-time BFFs Bethenny and Jill may still be verbally girl-slapping each other, too. Bethenny, by the way, will also star in a RH: NYC spin-off series, Bethenny’s Getting Married?, which follows the preggers chef as she prepares for the arrival of her first child and a wedding to babydaddy Jason Hoppy.
And in one more potentially delicious bit of Real Housewives news, SoapCentral.com reports that Victoria Rowell, the former The Young and the Restless‘ Dru Winters, may join The Real Housewives of Atlanta next season.
Rowell is notoriously outspoken, about her life and the showbiz industry, so just the possibility of a NeNe Leakes/Rowell meet-up … one reality show might not be able to contain two divas of that magnitude. And oh, just imagine the possibility of an Andy Cohen Watch What Happens Live episode with NeNe and Rowell …
Charlie Sheen, Russell Brand and Louis C.K. are getting most of the attention, but I’m most excited that one of the best new shows of last TV season — Wilfred — returns for its second season on FX tonight (10PM ET). Season one of the series ended with a cliffhanger — had Ryan (Elijah Wood) […]