All the tube news that’s fit to surf …
- Jennifer Aniston‘s latest big-screen venture, The Switch, made a poor debut at the box office last weekend, but good news on the TV front: she’ll guest star in the season two premiere of BFF and former Friends co-star Courteney Cox‘s Cougar Town on Sept. 22. PS – After many a movie flop, who thinks Aniston should grab a TV series of her own? PSS – She’s also reportedly interested in a role in that Arrested Development movie (with The Switch co-star Jason Bateman) we’re all waiting (and waiting and waiting and …) for.
- Put that Behind the Music episode on American Idol alum Fantasia on your schedule for tomorrow night (9PM ET, VH1), because the timely episode includes scoop from the singer on the married man scandal that led to her recent suicide attempt.
- EW.com has a preview of Betty White guest-starring on Community in the season two premiere on Sept. 23.
- American Chopper star Paul Teutul Jr. got married last week, and no, though his father (and American Choppers: Senior vs. Junior rival) was invited, he didn’t attend. Sad.
- Modern Family season two: All about the upcoming Cam/Mitchell kiss.
- Lessons learned from last week’s Lost memorabilia auction: People love Lost a loooooot more than anyone guessed, and those Lost fans apparently have quite a bit of extra cash laying around. Among the goodies that sold at a premium: A signed script that was estimated to go for $300, but actually went for $18,000 (no, there are not too many zeroes there), and an Oceanic Airlines water bottle that was estimated to go for $200, but ultimately went for $1,680. Water bottles!
- This sounds like a must-TiVo show: Rachael Ray will launch a new show on The Cooking Channel called Week in a Day, in which she’ll show viewers how to cook a whole week of meals in just one day. The show will air on Saturday afternoons and premieres on Sept. 25.
- TMZ claims Spencer Pratt is trying to blackmail estranged wife Heidi Montag into starring in another reality show with him by threatening to release their sex tapes. Of course, as with everything involving these two, there’s also a good chance that the whole thing is a giant publicity scam. Sigh … there are no winners in this case, least of all viewers.
- Here’s how The Situation from The Jersey Shore is going to earn $5 million this year.
- And before this Sunday’s primetime Emmy telecast, the aforementioned Betty White has already snagged an Emmy for her Saturday Night Live hosting gig.
All the tube news that’s fit to surf …
- The Daytime Emmy nominations were announced this morning, and the nominees for Outstanding Drama Series: All My Children, The Bold and the Beautiful, General Hospital and The Young and the Restless.
- PBS will air a four-hour sequel to documentarian Ken Burns‘ classic Baseball series. The Tenth Inning, which will cover the last decade and a half of action in Major League Baseball, will premiere on Sept. 28 and 29.
- Still trying to wrap my head around last night’s Lost and all the questions it answered/new ones it raised. The finale, of course, is just a little more than a week away, and if that’s already making you nostalgic about the show, check out the upcoming Lost props auction, where goodies like Dharma food, Charlie’s Drive Shaft ring, Kate’s toy airplane, Hurley’s passport and winning lottery ticket, and, what I think is the coolest of all, Jin’s wedding ring, which was a pivotal part of last week’s heartbreaking episode.
- About NBC’s fall 2010 schedule: It’s looking good for Chuck, not so good for Heroes, and kinda iffy for the remake of The Rockford Files that TVScreener.com readers really wanted Joe Flanigan to be a part of.
- Comedy Central has pulled the plug on The Sarah Silverman Program.
- Lifetime is spinning off Army Wives. The new show will revolve around Brigid Brannagh‘s Pamela, as she divorced hubby Chase and rejoins the police force in Charleston, South Carolina.
- USA has an awesome line-up of returns planned for the summer: Psych‘s fifth season kicks off on July 21 (10PM ET) and will include guest stars like Jean Smart and John Michael Higgins; 24‘s Mary Lynn Rajskub is guest-starring on the June 10 episode of Royal Pains (which returns on June 3 for its second season, which will also include Henry “The Fonz” Winkler); and Burt Reynolds will play a, ahem, veteran, spy guy on an episode of Burn Notice, which premieres its fourth season on June 3.
- MTV has picked up the pilot for a remake of the British teen drama Skins.
- Speaking of SNL, Alec Baldwin hosts the season finale this week, but fans have already started campaigns to lobby for hosts for next season (the show’s 36th!), including Carol Burnett, Glee star Jane Lynch and White’s fellow Golden Girl Rue McClanahan. Can’t go wrong with any of them, no?
- And one more SNL bit: The Daily Beast has a great interview with producer Lorne Michaels, who dishes about the Betty White episode, the upcoming MacGruber movie and the big Conan/Leno/NBC mess.
- With American Idol ratings steadily heading downward and Simon Cowell‘s American version of X Factor coming soon (not to mention America’s Got Talent), it would seem that another singing competition series is the last thing TV land needs. Yet uber-producer Mark Burnett is shopping one, called One in a Million.
- And the next big screen-to-boob tube makeover: A TV series version of the Tom Cruise flick The Firm.
Here they are, the final promo clip, and a very sweet interview, for Betty White‘s much, much, much-anticipated Mother’s Day weekend Saturday Night Live hosting gig (Saturday, 11:30PM ET, NBC).
And speaking of, Happy Mother’s Day, mommies!
Not only is she hosting Saturday Night Live (and rumored to be collaborating with her musical guest, Jay-Z, but WE is also airing a Golden Girls marathon, featuring the best Rose Nylund episodes. Details from the WE press release:
“IT’S SATURDAY NIGHT WITH BETTY WHITE!” GOLDEN GIRLS
14-EPISODE MARATHON ON SATURDAY, MAY 8 ON WE TV
WE TV CELEBRATE’S POP CULTURE PHENOM & BELOVED COMEDIC ICON BETTY WHITE THIS SATURDAY
WITH BEST OF BETTY GOLDEN GIRL EPISODES
SECOND MARATHON ON SUNDAY, MAY 9 – “MA DAY” FEATURES GOLDEN GIRLS EPISODES ABOUT MOTHERS & DAUGHTERS
New York, NY, May 4, 2010 – Sassy, outrageous, hilarious – and at 88 – Betty White is HOT! With a career spanning 7 decades, she’s bigger than ever now. Facebook fans rallied to get the beloved comedic icon an unprecedented Saturday Night Live hosting gig this weekend. Now, WE tv has a 14-episode Betty bonanza for fans with “IT’S SATURDAY NIGHT WITH BETTY WHITE!” GOLDEN GIRLS MARATHON on Saturday, May 8, from 6 PM – 1 AM ET/PT.
The marathon will feature Betty’s riotous performance as Rose Nylund on the enduringly-popular and much-loved series THE GOLDEN GIRLS, for which she won an Emmy and an American Comedy Award. So grab your best friends and a cheesecake and join WE tv for a hilarious dose of St. Olaf humor, including:
Isn’t It Romantic? – Dorothy’s old friend Jean comes to Miami for a visit and Dorothy decides not to tell Blanche and Rose that Jean is a lesbian. Then, after spending time with Rose, Jean begins to fall for her.
Love, Rose – Rose places an ad in the personals column and she is let down when she doesn’t hear an immediate response. This leads Blanche and Dorothy to begin responding under the name Isaac Newton.
How can Saturday Night Live producer Lorne Michaels possibly top Betty White as host for the Mother’s Day weekend SNL? Well, obviously, he can’t.
But, getting Alec Baldwin to host the SNL season finale the following week (May 15)? Pretty awesome. NBC has yet to confirm it, but Baldwin himself spilled the beans about his hosting gig at the White House Correspondents Association Dinner on Saturday night.
Baldwin is one of the all-time great SNL hosts, and the May 15 show would mark his 15th (!) time as host, which ties him with his Oscar co-host, Steve Martin, for the SNL hosting record.
The May 15 episode will mark Baldwin’s first time making the SNL opening monologue since … last season. He hosted the Valentine’s Day 2009 episode, with musical guest the Jonas Brothers.
One wish: That Baldwin busts out his Tony Bennett for a Tony Bennett Show skit. Hilarious!
Charlie Sheen, Russell Brand and Louis C.K. are getting most of the attention, but I’m most excited that one of the best new shows of last TV season — Wilfred – returns for its second season on FX tonight (10PM ET). Season one of the series ended with a cliffhanger — had Ryan (Elijah Wood) [...]
I am really inspired together......continue
hey katey i like how u an......continue
Hello my loved one! I......continue