(ALL TIMES ET)
8PM | NBC – 6TH SEASON PREMIERE
30 Rock – They’re back, and Jenna gets her wish for bigger fame when she becomes a judge on a reality talent show called Kidz Got Singing.
8PM | CBS
The Big Bang Theory – Penny gives Sheldon advice on how to be a better boyfriend after he hurts Amy’s feelings.
8PM | THE CW
The Vampire Diaries – Caroline’s getting a surprise 18th birthday party! Oops, guess it’s not a surprise anymore.
8PM | VH1
17th Annual Critics’ Choice Movie Awards – The fact that Paul Scheer and Rob Heubel are hosting is reason enough to watch yet another movie awards show, methinks.
8:30PM | NBC
Parks and Recreation – April and Andy decide to get a pet. They kind of have their hands full trying to keep each other alive, no?
8:30PM | CBS
Rob – I’m pretending this new Rob Schneider doesn’t exist. If you choose not to, warning: crapload of stereotypes and lame, lame jokes ahead.
9PM | HBO
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory – The documentary catches up with the West Memphis Three, who continued their efforts to overturn their 1993 conviction in the murder of a trio of elementary school children, using DNA evidence and witness testimony that wasn’t available at the time of the original trial. Spoiler alert, in case you missed it: The three were freed last summer. But don’t let that deter you from watching Paradise Lost – the filmmakers’ third documentary on the West Memphis Three – because the end result doesn’t begin to tell the compelling story of how 18 years of legal wrangling took a toll on all involved.
9PM | CBS
The Office – Dwight heads off to Sabre HQ offices in search of a new job, while Andy tries to horn in on Oscar’s trivia hobby. Can anyone make an argument that this show should continue? Seriously, I’d like to hear it if so, because it increasingly feels like it may never be funny again. So why suggest it as a viewing pick? Eh, sometimes you have to stick with a show ’til the end (see also: Chuck).
9PM | LIFETIME
Project Runway All Stars – Mark Badgley and James Mischka are guest judges for tonight’s challenge, in which the designers have to whip up elegant ball gowns for a night at the opera.
10PM | ANIMAL PLANET
American Stuffers – Yes indeed, this is a reality show about taxidermists. No avocation is unworthy of its own reality series. Or, if the first one becomes a hit, many, many reality series (see also: Pawn Stars, Cajun Pawn Stars, American Pickers, etc.)
10PM | MTV
Jersey Shore – Homesick Vinny considers leaving the house. Because there almost certainly must be tons of other ways he could make money as easily as he is on Jersey Shore.
10PM | CBS
The Mentalist – As Jane investigates the murder of a high-price divorce attorney, he also has to answer FBI questions about Red John’s involvement with Panzer’s death.
Worth flipping to during commercials:
– Brennan and Booth look for a new home on Bones (8PM, Fox);
– The Snow Boot and Avalanche Alley are among the challenges on Wipeout (8PM, ABC);
– The Bones spin-off The Finder (9PM, Fox) premieres;
– Teddy questions Cristina about Henry’s surgery on Grey’s Anatomy (9PM, ABC);
– Reese and Finch pull Carter into a case on Person of Interest (9PM, CBS);
– On Up All Night (9:30PM, NBC), Kevin (guest star Jason Lee) worries Ava is ashamed of him;
– Sam and Pete have bachelors’ night out on Private Practice (10PM, ABC).
And the late-night line-up:
– Conan (11PM, TBS): Ricky Gervais;
– The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (11PM, Comedy Central): Dolly Parton;
– The Colbert Report (11:30PM, Comedy Central): Mike Allen;
– The Late Show with David Letterman (11:35PM, CBS): Senator John McCain;
– The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (11:35PM, NBC): Betty White and Gerard Butler;
– Jimmy Kimmel Live (12:05AM, ABC): Meryl Streep;
– Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (12:35AM, NBC): Daniel Radcliffe;
– The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (12:37AM, CBS): Hugh Laurie;
– Last Call with Carson Daly (1:35AM, NBC): Chris Hardwick (REPEAT).
Charlie Sheen, Russell Brand and Louis C.K. are getting most of the attention, but I’m most excited that one of the best new shows of last TV season — Wilfred — returns for its second season on FX tonight (10PM ET). Season one of the series ended with a cliffhanger — had Ryan (Elijah Wood) […]