(ALL TIMES ET)
TVScreener’s on a little break this week, so here’s a list of the must-not-miss programming you should, uh, not miss, through next Monday:
10PM, TUES | FX – 4TH SEASON PREMIERE
Sons of Anarchy – The 90-minute season premiere picks up with the SAMCRO dudes getting out of jail and returning to Charming, where a new sheriff (Prison Break‘s Rockmond Dunbar) is considerably less friendly than the old regime, Opie and Lyla are getting hitched, a new federal agent (Deadwood‘s Ray McKinnon) is hot on the club’s trail and Jax returns home to his new son and Tara, with a radical change in his priorities. I’ve seen the first three episodes of season four, and they set up what promises to be a great (another great) season, with a lot of the tensions that have been building throughout the series inevitably bubbling up to the forefront. Still bummed SoA creator Kurt Sutter quit Twitter though …
10PM, WEDS | FX – SERIES FINALE
Rescue Me – Denis Leary‘s NYPD fireman dramedy that was sparked by 9/11 comes to an end just in time for the day’s 10th anniversary, and, though the show has been hit and miss throughout its run (I maintain that the season five finale, in which Tommy was shot by his crazy Uncle Teddy, would have been the perfect series finale), but this fairly satisfying series ender wraps with a tragedy, some over-the-top (but still pretty funny) shenanigans and a glimpse at the guys’ futures.
9PM, THURS | USA – 5TH SEASON SUMMER FINALE
Burn Notice – Michael’s old frienemy Larry (guest star Tim Matheson) returns, which always means trouble. And since Michael is right in the middle of trying to prove he didn’t kill Max, Larry’s reappearance is particularly ill-timed.
10PM, THURS | FX – 1ST SEASON FINALE
Wilfred – There are some truly delightful and ornery moments in tonight’s finale (many of them tied to Wilfred’s love of bubbles), but the ending? Will blow your mind.
10:30PM, THURS | FX – 2ND SEASON FINALE
Louie – Louie … New Jersey … bad.
10PM, FRI | STARZ – SEASON FINALE
Torchwood: Miracle Day – This is either the first season finale or the fourth, depending on whether you see this as a whole new series or just a continuation of the original. Either way, the Torchwoodies make a final effort against the Three Families, but it may take a huge sacrifice for them to have any hope of defeating the Fams.
9PM, SUN | HBO – 4TH SEASON FINALE
True Blood – It’s called “And When I Die.” Hints: Debbie has it out with Tara and Sookie, Alcide gets romantic and Terry has a surprise visitor.
10PM, SUN | AMC
Breaking Bad – Gus takes on his rivals, while Jesse asks Walt for help.
10PM, SUN | HBO – 8TH SEASON FINALE
Curb Your Enthusiasm – This has officially been my all-time favorite season of Curb, as Larry, sans the wet blanket that was Cheryl, fully embraced his inner “social assassin. But tonight, he tangles with the one guy who could have us all rooting against Larry: Michael J. Fox.
10:30PM, SUN | HBO – SERIES FINALE
Entourage – If not for Jeremy Piven as Ari, this season would have been unwatchable. But since we’ve come this far, may as well see how it all ends, as Vince makes a surprising move after this first date with Sophia, Ari and Mrs. Ari go for one more therapy session and the guys try to talk the pregnant Sloan into reuniting with E, even as her dad threatens to kill him.
MON | CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS FOR TIME AND CHANNEL – SERIES PREMIERE
Anderson – Anderson Cooper begins his stint as a daytime talk show host. Can’t wait; as well as being a serious newsie, he loves pop culture and guilty pleasure TV, so it should prove to be a fun mix.
10PM, MON | SHOWTIME
Weeds – Nancy, Andy and Doug head to the Hamptons for the weekend, while Shane goes on a drug bust with Det. Ouellette.
Worth flipping to during commercials:
– Todd‘s son from a previous marriage visits and wreaks havoc in the house on Downsized (9PM, WE);
– Dough, breakfast food and fancy fish are among the mystery basket ingredients on this installment of Chopped: Champions (10PM, Food Network);
– The 4th season premiere of The Rachel Zoe Project (10PM, Bravo) finds the spaz stylist preparing for the imminent arrival of baby Skyler;
– Amber spends a night in jail and Catelynn and Tyler have a fight on Teen Mom (10PM, MTV);
– On Awkward (11PM, MTV), Jenna’s wild party ends with a kiss, but she can’t remember the details of it (the party or the kiss).
– Mike and Lonnie choose a partner in the season finale of Famous Food (8PM, VH1);
– Boorman offers Patty classified info on Howard Erickson (for a price, of course) on Damages (10PM, DirecTV);
– Chef Robert travels to Pennsylvania to help the owner of a place that’s part eatery, part vineyard and part zoo on Restaurant: Impossible (10PM, Food Network);
– Back-to-back new eps of Storage Wars (10 and 10:30PM, A&E);
– On Top Chef: Just Desserts (10PM, Bravo), the chefs have to whip up desserts for a party thrown by Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star Lisa Vanderpump.
– The designers have to create a signature fabric, and they also have to work in teams again on Project Runway (9PM, Lifetime);
– Futurama (10PM, Comedy Central) wraps its sixth season;
– Ronnie and Sammi try to make up (again), but will probably end up in a psycho drama instead (again) on Jersey Shore (10PM, MTV);
– Trevor creates a problem when he shows up on Mike’s doorstep in the first season finale of Suits (10PM, USA).
– Taped in Beverly Hills in December, Mel Brooks and Dick Cavett: Together Again (9PM, HBO) finds the two showbiz legends and fantastic storytellers swapping anecdotes in front of a live audience, which includes fellow legend Carl Reiner.
– Cops (8PM, Fox): Bad boys, bad boys, back for their 24th season premiere;
– The Doctor and Rory have to rescue Amy, who’s been quarantined inside an alien hospital on Doctor Who (9PM, BBCA).
– It’ll be hard to top (go lower than?) the spectacle that was last week’s attempt to get Amy Fisher to meet up with Mary Jo Buttafuoco, but Dr. Drew and his team make the effort during updates on the other rehabbers during the fifth season finale of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew (10PM, VH1);
– Teresa makes a gaudy spectacle of herself and her family with a kiddie birthday party on Real Housewives of New Jersey (10PM, Bravo).
– The 42nd season premiere of Monday Night Football (7PM, ESPN) pits the Patriots against the Dolphins;
– There are wieners and winners in the second season finale of Bachelor Pad (8PM, ABC);
– Andy Cohen co-hosts the 2011 Miss Universe Pageant (9PM, NBC);
– On the seventh season summer finale of The Closer (9PM, TNT), the judge makes a crucial ruling in Brenda’s case;
– Kate Plus 8 (9PM, TLC) … series finale, finale-ally;
– Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (9PM, Bravo) … yep, it’s creepy, and that only continues as Taylor delves into her marital woes;
– On The A-List (10PM, Logo), Austin tries to make up with Derek, and Reichen introduces his new cologne;
– The season two premiere of Extreme Couponing (10PM, TLC) features a woman who’s using coupons in the hopes of saving enough cash to move out of her dangerous neighborhood;
– On the second season summer finale of Rizzoli & Isles (10PM, TNT), a young guy is killed in a jail bathroom, just as he was about to be sprung from the hoosegow;
– Adam searches for his MIA uncle on The Big C (10:30PM, Showtime).
And the late-night line-up:
– Conan (11PM, TBS): Charlie Day and Foo Fighters (Thursday);
– The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (11PM, Comedy Central): Dr. Sanjay Gupta (Wednesday);
– The Colbert Report (11:30PM, Comedy Central): Tom Brokaw (Thursday);
– The Late Show with David Letterman (11:35PM, CBS): Michael J. Fox (Thursday);
– The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (11:35PM, NBC): Nick Swardson (Tuesday); Wull Arnett (Thursday); Glen Campbell and Christina Applegate (Monday);
– Jimmy Kimmel Live (12:05AM, ABC): Elijah Wood (Wednesday); Nathan Fillion (Monday);
– Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (12:35AM, NBC): Denis Leary (Tuesday); Tom Selleck (Thursday); Lauren Graham (Friday); Sarah Michelle Gellar (Monday);
– The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (12:37AM, CBS): Lisa Kudrow (Tuesday).
Charlie Sheen, Russell Brand and Louis C.K. are getting most of the attention, but I’m most excited that one of the best new shows of last TV season — Wilfred — returns for its second season on FX tonight (10PM ET). Season one of the series ended with a cliffhanger — had Ryan (Elijah Wood) […]